Friday, March 25, 2011

The Envelope

Jordan had speech this morning.  It seemed like a normal session.  Conner and I sat outside reading a book and we heard some talking and occasional screeches coming from her.  When they were done, Jo brought her out and said that she did okay...a few temper tantrums and threw the cars once.  She didn't get her to say the target word "water."  She did say "wa" but would not repeat it for "wawa."  It is another week of trying to target a word with her.

Then JoAnne hands me an envelope and starts to cry.  She tells me this is Jordan's report and that she's sorry.  She says that it was very hard for her to write and as her mom she knows it will be extremely hard to read.  She told me that the tests are standardized and Jordan doesn't perform well on them, but she does not view her as the scores do.

Now I'm terrified to open the envelope and read what's inside.  I know that the psychologist at the Gerber Center labeled her as between "borderline deficiency" and "dullness".  He admitted that he felt that there was more potential based on seeing her, but that is what the test showed.  I mentioned that to Jo a few weeks ago and she said that their scores were lower than that.  I don't know if I even want to read the report.

I know that my beautiful daughter is full of life and is a ton of fun and improving every day!!!  I know that I love her with my whole heart and then some!!!  I know that God has created her just as she is to serve a purpose and reflect His love.  I know that regardless of what some test says, I will never doubt the limits of my precious Jordan!!!

...but I'm still terrified to open the envelope...

No comments: