Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Another Crazy Day!!!!!

Today we started off with Jordan again joining the ECSE (Early Childhood Special Education) 3 year-old class for Speech/OT group.  She did great!  She again had difficulty sitting still and was a talker today and kept pointing to her sleeve and saying "shirt."  While she was in group, I filled out a Sensory Profile and started to fill out the forms for her upcoming IEP. 

Jordan's feeding therapy with Ellen was canceled because she wasn't in today, but they ended up having an opening with Jenny (a therapist that worked with her a while back - check out the pic in the sidebar area).  We headed over there and tried a little feeding bag that I found mixed in with baby feeding stuff.  It has a small mesh bag with a snap cover and a handle to hold.  I wanted to see if they thought it would be okay to use it for Jordan since the holes were larger than the bag we are currently using.  Jenny tried it out and Jordan did very well!!  She loved the banana and enjoyed the hot dog.  She wasn't too excited about the Doritos or the sour gummy worm.  She liked the goldfish crackers but it was too pasty and she definitely had crud in the back of her throat that didn't clear until we gave her some applesauce.  Overall, it seems like a great alternative to allow Jordan more independence in her feeding.  She will still have to be closely monitored and we have to remind her to take the bag out and swallow after a few seconds.  We found that she loved the foods that gave her the most through the bag and disliked the ones that only gave her flavors and a small amount.  I am excited to see how this works for her!!!

After that, I had 2 appointments for Mak.  I came home and threw together some dinner and had a few bites to eat and then headed out with my friend Terri to attend a group discussing healthy eating for our children.  I tried many of these things with our family last summer and they are great...except that they cost a lot of $$$!  I did get some ideas of things to consider and even found a website with information on making homemade formula to with whole, natural foods that I could possibly use for Jordan.  I have realized over the past year how much I hate having her get nothing but chemically processed fake foods.  I'm not sure if this is realistic, but it is something that I want to at least think about.

I am now exhausted from 2 crazy days of appointments...and looking forward to the next 2 days that I am home with no appointments and no van to go anywhere even if I want to!  It looks like I will finally have a few days to focus on doing some school with Conner (and Jordan), cleaning the house (and letting them help), and enjoying my kids and being their mom!!!

No comments: