Thursday, May 15, 2008

Today's update!

Jordan seems to be doing very well drinking from a cup. She only coughs a once or twice per meal and usually because I gave her too much at once. It does take quite a bit longer to get through a meal. Dinner on the first night took 1 hour!! I'm sure with time it will be much easier and quicker for us to feed her. Part of the reason is because she takes such a long time with each bite of food/drink. She processes the food/drink in her mouth for 6-8 seconds before swallowing. Then it takes her another 5-10 seconds or longer before she is willing to open her mouth for another bite/drink. She is soooo different from Conner - we couldn't shovel the food in fast enough for that boy!!

Betsy called yesterday and cancelled her therapy for tomorrow because of a death in her family. I'm actually kinda glad because yesterday we had Conner's speech evaluation and I feel like I have been too busy the past few weeks. A day off will be nice. Of course, we will still work with her at home, but at our own convenience.

I have also pretty much conceded that it is better for Jordan to switch to using a bottle rather than nursing. I don't know that she is getting enough when nursing and I have no way to actually track her intake. Although the cost is frightening, I truly believe it will provide her with better nutrition than I am able to provide for her at this point. I have been weaning over the past week and a half and will probably nurse her for the last time this weekend.

What a sad thing!! A part of me wants to hold on to it because I love the feeling of holding her and providing her with the milk that was her only nutrition for such a long time. I guess knowing she is my last baby also makes it hard to stop. I have considered continuing one nursing per day but she is now down to only 3 bottles/nursings per day and I feel that her nutrition is more important than my wanting her to stay my baby forever!

2 comments:

The Clack Family said...

You could always have more babies!!! Who says you have to stop at 3!!!! hahahahaha!

Karrie said...

Are you serious!?!?! I'll let you go first with #4!!! Actually, after the problems with the placenta with Jordan, the doc told me I would be high risk with any future pregnancy. D and I seriously wonder if any of Jordan's delays/complications are due to those placenta problems or her breathing incidents. We see the neurologist next week and hope to get some answers from him.