Thursday, May 29, 2008

Insurance Denies the Prescription!!!

I went to Meijer to get the antibiotic prescription filled because it's FREE!! I also gave them the one for the Pediasure. They told me to come back in a 1/2 hr. I shopped around for a few things we needed.

When I returned they said they didn't need to fill the Pediasure because it was an over the counter item. I explained that I understood that, but since it was prescribed by my Dr. and the large quantity needed I wanted it to go through my insurance. She told me to wait and they would run it through. After waiting for another 1/2 hr, she came back and told me that my insurance denied it!

I would like to say that I was surprised, but I wasn't. I was however, very frustrated!!! The cost of Pediasure doesn't exactly fit into our budget! I had breastfed through the first year partly because of the cost of formula and I was looking forward to switching to milk after she turns 1 in a few weeks. My friend, had received cases of Enfacare for her triplets and had offered to give us some since she wasn't using it anymore. I was excited and the nutritionists at MFB had given it the okay. Now I was being asked to give her something that provided the calories and nutrition that she needed, but was too expensive for us to afford and our insurance wasn't going to help.

2 comments:

Tara said...

I have a friend who did WIC for her daughter for awhile, they did provide many cases of Pediasure. Another alternative, that we do b/c it is less expensive is the Carnation Instant Breakfast packets in whole milk. It is supposedly almost the same thing as Pediasure. Our nutritionist said .5 - 1 packet for 8oz. Hope this helps!

The Clack Family said...

Arugh how frusterating!
Do you guys go for your appoiontment this week then?