Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Labor & Delivery

Well, once I was in the room and hooked up to machines, I continued to need to pee every 1/2 hour. Derrick and I made a few phone calls and he took off to go home and get things situated with the kids and to get our bags. My nurse was awesome and we had some great conversations! My labor didn't progress very quickly until they broke my water. At that point, I was feeling more comfortable about the situation. All of the monitors were making sure Jordan and I were okay and that provided a lot of reassurance.

Well, labor progressed and around 9:30 pm Jordan started showing of distress. They decided to place an internal monitor on her head a little while earlier and now they felt she was not doing well. They wanted to put water back in the uterus to relieve some of the pressure on her and see if she did any better. She started the process, but in a matter of about 2 minutes quickly went from 7 cm to 10 cm and they needed to get her out quickly. They had me turn over on all 4's to try to relieve the pressure until they were ready for the delivery. They began the delivery and found that the cord was wrapped tightly around her neck. After delivering the head, she tried to loosen the cord and then deliver her. Jordan was born at 10:01pm on June 12, 2007.

The quietness in the room was unnerving. We kept waiting to hear Jordan cry. They took her over to the heated bassinett and tried to stimulate her...still nothing. Derrick had been videotaping the delivery from over my shoulder at the bed and he followed them when they took her to the bassinett. The Dr. who had just delivered Jordan and was working on me, made her way over to the bassinett to see if she could help. After about 3 1/2 minutes, she still wasn't breathing...he turned the camera off. What if this didn't turn out the way we expected...what if she didn't make it...we didn't want it on video. Within a minute of that point, she started crying! What a beautiful sound!! They continued to suction her and stimulate her to get her color and breathing what it should be.

When the Dr. returned to me, she said that I didn't need to worry. She said that lots of babies take a few minutes to start breathing and that everything would be okay. I asked lots of questions about what the side effects could be and she continued to reassure me that everything would be fine. Her 5 minute apgar score was 9 out of 10 - that was good! I wanted to believe her and so I just enjoyed the sound of my crying baby girl!!

The Dr. delivered the placenta and informed me that it didn't look good. She asked how far along I was and was surprised when I told her 39 weeks. She said the placenta looked small, old, and dried up - more typical of a 42-43 week placenta. She said that she would send it in to the labs to have it checked out.

Everything seemed to be fine with Jordan for the remainder of our hospital stay. She was 5 lbs 12 oz and 17 inches long but had no noticiable complications. I was relieved to get through that fearful experience and enjoy my tiny, beautiful treasure!

No comments: