Monday, February 6, 2012

Feeding Tube Awareness Week - February 5-11, 2012

Well, I might as well post about Feeding Tube Awareness Week on my blog that I somehow never manage to keep updated!  I just found out about this a few months ago and it wasn't until a few weeks ago that I decided I wanted to do something for it.  I contacted Jordan's Early Childhood Special Education teacher, Pam, and asked her if I could come in to her class and talk to the kids about Jordan and her feeding tube.  Pam loved the idea and I am scheduled to go in on Wednesday morning.  That led me to thinking about who else Jordan has regular contact with that may benefit from learning more about her and her tube.  I checked with our church's Children's Ministry Director, Michelle, and she also loved the idea of telling the other preschool kids at church about it.

Yesterday, I went in and spoke with the kids and teachers.  It went pretty well.  I read the book "My Tubey" and then shared a little bit about Jordan and told them how she gets her food (fortunate for me, it was feeding time so we put on her backpack and hooked her up).  My favorite comment was the little boy who raised his hand and responded "when I was a baby, I was sick and that's how I got my food." 

I also wrote a letter and had a list of helpful resources that I sent home with the parents.  Please take the time to read and learn :)
Feeding Tube Awareness Week Letter
Feeding Tube Awareness Week Resources

Thanks for taking the time to learn more about feeding tubes and those who live with them or love someone who has one!!

No comments: