Thursday, November 13, 2008

Friday's Adventures (almost a week late)

Well, last Friday I decided that Jordan's cough had gone on long enough and she sounded soooo rattley - we were used to that sound from the time she was 2 weeks old until several weeks after she had her feeding tube put in and no longer ate orally. However, it was not something that I wanted to let go after a week of coughing and a low fever that jumped on Friday. So we took her in to the doc and she had an ear infection and an upper respiratory infection. He started her on Amoxicillin and we gave her first dose at her 5:30pm feeding.

Since it was Friday, it was pizza night!! After situating Jordan in her new Jumperoo - the best new toy for a busy little girl, we sat down on the couches and floor to watch some tv and enjoy our pizza. Jordan jumped like crazy for about 1/2 hr and then started fussing a little. I reached down between the front of the jumper and her belly to grab her pacifier to stick it back in and realized that the front of her was drenched!! I took her out and upstairs to change her clothes and put some dry gauze on. When we came back down, I decided not to put her back in the jumper since it seemed to cause her tube to leak. The kids and I played on the floor for about an hour until it was time to get ready for bed. I picked her up and realized that she was soaked again! I carried her upstairs and laid her down to take off the wet clothes and realized that she was now leaking bloody stomach contents - GROSS!!! I took off her clothes and gauze and looked at the tube site and there was a huge bubble of tissue coming out of it! I talked with Derrick and a few friends and decided that we needed to take a trip to the ER.

We headed in and our nurse, Jon was great!! He had fun interacting with Jordan while talking to me about what happened and checking out her belly. Since I had cleaned her up before coming in, there wasn't much to see other than the tissue growth. I put her in a gown and we waited to see the doc. Since Jordan isn't one for sitting still much anymore, she was all over the place!! Since I didn't want her crawling on the floor, I pulled up the side of the bed and let her crawl around on it. After about 15 minutes, I realized that she was leaking all over the place again and Jon came in and looked at it. We cleaned her up and gave her a clean gown and some gauze to try to soak up any leaking. The doc came in and looked her over. He decided to consult with her surgeon before deciding on what to do. He came back in and Dr. Neil had said to put 2ml more into the balloon and to use silver nitrate on the tissue to cauterize it. After a few minutes, we were ready to head home. Although, the entire trip took us almost 3 hours (there was lots of time sitting in the room waiting and Jordan wasn't so patient!!)

We followed up with Dr. Neil on Tuesday and he thought everything looked good now. He said that he had granulation tissue can't grow that fast so it was most likely Jordan's stomach that had prolapsed out of the tube site. He said he has never seen it, but it was theoretically possible and since the tissue was a dark purple instead of fleshy pink, it was probably her stomach.

I guess this journey we are on with Jordan is full of twists and turns! I feel like there is something new I learn every week! As for now, she is doing well and healing. He said for us to give the jumper a break for a few weeks but there's no reason she can't use it in the future. He recommended a tight onesie or ace bandage to secure the tube from rubbing too much.

No comments: